On the last day of 5th grade Challenge, students planned a party and decided each student would give a toast. I supplied grape juice; the kids brought various treats including Caesar salad, and the party began. We toasted to 3 great years of Challenge, the fun of Goal next year, summer, hot days, no more school, summer camp, and on and on.Two 5th grade boys thought of giving toasts because of what we read while studying the Civil War. We learned President Andrew Jackson and John Calhoun, 30 years before the Civil War, already held conflicting beliefs. The two men were at a party with many government officials. President Jackson toasted to the Union - forever, and Calhoun toasted to Liberty! Calhoun believed in states' rights as a way to keep slavery in the South. Now you can see how 5th graders made a personal connection to the Civil War.
I will never forget this 5th grade group of Challenge students. They taught me to enjoy the moment. They thrilled me with many original projects and used humor and creativity to keep us laughing. I will miss this group of kids.
No comments:
Post a Comment